Educational programs in nutrition, diet and health provide individuals and families with a knowledge base on which to make informed decisions about food, nutrition and health. These programs are designed to help people achieve and maintain optimal weight and reduce the risk of chronic disease, give birth to healthy babies and practice responsible and healthy self care. They also improve a consumers ability to make informed choices related to food safety, quality and composition.
Harris County Focus
Texas AgriLife Extension Service programs assist residents to:
- Use the U.S. Dietary Guidelines and the My Plate guidelines to choose a healthful diet.
- Integrate physical exercise into daily life.
- Adopt safe food selection, preparation, service and storage practices.
- Practice personal health protection by using recommended prevention practice and participating in health screenings.
- Adopt dietary practices recommended for specific life cycle stages.
Sonja L. Davis
County Extension Agent – Family and Consumer Sciences
3033 Bear Creek Drive
Houston, Texas 77084